Thursday, February 6, 2020

On arguments and tactics used against Christians and what Christians should do about it

If you read the Gospels, one recurring theme that was constantly used against Jesus was his enemies trying to use his own words against, trying to reveal him a traitor to own morals, and otherwise trying to make him the bad guy because they hated what he stood for.

In modern day, not much has changed. Even if you are like me and live in a fairly free country to be a Christian, you will encounter much the same scorn and hatred from those who will treat you with contempt for your faith, and here' some of the most common ways this manifests.


1. Trying to use you own morals against you.



A common tactic those who hate Christians will use is trying to hold you to your morals and mercilessly trying to make you look like a stupid hypocrite for not living up to them 24/7.

This is dishonest for several reasons, here's some quotes from scripture on why that's the case.


Romans 3:9-20 English Standard Version (ESV)

No One Is Righteous


As the above clearly shows, no one can be BE righteous 24/7, anyone trying to hold another human being to that standard is being a hypocrite themselves, especially if they curse God and treat him with contempt yet try to use your faith in God against you.

If you encounter this, my advice is to disregard whatever those who do this say. Those who spit venom have no business trying to call you a viper as well. So long as you refrain from returning the venom, the true vipers will be judged by God, and so long as you do not get on the ground with the snakes that spit venom at you, you will not be counted among their number when the time of judgment is at hand.



2. Trying to accuse you being a holy-roller Bible-Beater



Now, this accusation can having a grain of truth to it if you make a point of being cruel and abrasive about being a Christian. Me, I don't make a habit of that and in fact despise Bible-beating. It's counterproductive towards spread the Word. After all, would you want to read a Book that someone smashes against your face and calls you bad for not reading it?


However, if you act like the sinner in the below parable, this accusation against you is utterly worthless


Luke 18:9-14 New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector


As the above shows, the tax collector (the sinner) admits straight up he doesn't deserve to look up in pride, it's because he knows he's fallen, he doesn't need to be told that, he readily acknowledges it, and for that humility, he was ultimately more righteous.


I've been subject IRL to self-righteous types who make clear they hate what I believe yet will tell me I think I'm better than them. I'll be blunt: I'm the farthest thing from righteous no matter how hard I try. 

In real life, I rarely look upwards because I live every day with the guilt of my sins and I know without the assistance of the sacrifice of Jesus, those sins are chains that bind me to death and eternal perdition. Without help beyond myself, I remain eternally damned and my grave will be my final resting place on this Earth before going to an even worse reward without admitting I'm an unregenerate sinner who needs to beseech an Almighty God for forgiveness.

If you can do the same, then while your assurance of salvation is something between you and the Lord, you can at least live with the knowledge you have humbled yourself before the Lord and need not fear the jibes and sneers of self-righteous men, because in your willingness to be humble before the true judge of good and evil, your redemption is more than possible.



3. Those who hate you will treat you like garbage because of your belief



This is not so much an argument or tactic, rather a general warning to anyone who believes in God: You will be treated like dirt by those who hate what you believe and whom you bow before.

I personally, despite living in a country where my freedom of religion is protected, I have still been subject to the vilest slander and libel possible to my name. My family has been assailed with slurs so cruel they would be blood insults worthy of bloodletting in ancient times, and I have been wracked with anguish more than once over how those who hate me get visceral joy out of watching me suffer rage over their wicked behavior.

And I guarantee every Christian will, to some degree, experience the same.

That said, here's some words of wisdom from the Bible on that subject:

Matthew 10:22


I'm not going to mince words: Believing in God means you accept to suffer as his Son did. Wicked men will scorn you, your beliefs will be assailed as lies, your character will be defamed, you will be spat upon and derided before your peers, and you be treated as lower than dirt by those who see your willingness to not retaliate as a weakness to exploit instead of willingness to suffer in silence as did Jesus.

That said, I still consider it worth it, because at the end of the day, you are the one who has to ask yourself: Do I seek the favor of those who curse me, or the favor of the one who loves me regardless? Do I seek to be praised by those who would betray me if they found it to their convenience at a later date, or do I seek to be loved by someone who will never abandon me?

If you can answer in the latter instead of the former, in which the former has no lasting hope while the latter has unending hope, then congratulations, your sacrifice will be rewarded, because at the end of your days as you approach the time of your death on this Earth, you can be proud of what you did here, and when you make it to your reward, all the suffering will be compensated by eternal laurels worth more than any praise from the temporal bonds of this mortal coil.

Call me insane, stupid, crazy, whatever. Curse me, curse my blood-kin, slander my friends, It makes no difference.

Because the way I see it, there are two choices: Grovel like a worm before those who spit on you anyway, or put faith in someone who won't do that.

Personally, I believe true dignity is only possible with the latter option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Asiago Pressato, Pecorino Calabrese, and Green Wax Irish Cheddar, my impressions

 It's been a while since my last cheese review, so let's make up for that, shall we? This time I ordered a pound each of Asiago Pres...