Sunday, February 2, 2020

In remembrance of my grandfather

It's been a few years since he passed away after a valiant fight with cancer, and I never really voiced my feelings on the man, but considering the impact he had on my life and so many others, I feel I should say something.

He was, first and foremost, a pillar of integrity in every community he set foot in. Even well into retirement, until cancer set in, he was working hard for his community as a builder, carpenter, plumber, painter, and any other job he could do for people that involved constructing things because he liked to create useful things for other people.

He was also a devout believer in God and served with distinction in every church he set foot in. He led my family in reverence for the Lord and was a moral anchor for more than one generation.

He was also incredibly erudite. He had enough certifications, plaques, and degrees to wallpaper a house, and he was very learned in his letters and his speech.

He was also a firm patriot, and he served his country honorably in the United States Navy.

Most importantly, he was an unforgettable part of my life and his shadow still looms over me as something I hope I'm worthy to walk in someday, as I firmly looked up to him. My grandmother and mother still mourn his passing, as do I.

I'm sure he's now in a place where his hard work on Earth has been rewarded greatly by the ultimate creator, and it's my fondest hope to join him there when it's my time to leave this world as well.

Until then, I intend to respect his memory as best I can, and while I don't expect I can ever walk completely in the shadow he left, I consider it my duty to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Asiago Pressato, Pecorino Calabrese, and Green Wax Irish Cheddar, my impressions

 It's been a while since my last cheese review, so let's make up for that, shall we? This time I ordered a pound each of Asiago Pres...