Wednesday, September 8, 2021

My experience buying some New York Yellow Cheddar from Murray's

 I recently, because I wanted to try better cheese than is usually shipped via the supermarket, ordered some New York Cheddar from an outfit called Murray's.


Now, I only ordered a pound, so I got two 0.5lb hand-sized blocks of cheese, which is fair. Murray's promised the cheese would be well preserved and fresh on arrival, and thanks to good packaging, included ice packs, and having the cheese wrapped securely in cheese paper, they were as good as their word.


Now, here is my review of the cheese:


First off, this is not a very good "sandwich cheese, it's fairly hard and is not going to slice evenly, but I'm the type who can eat my cheese neat, so that's not a problem. It's a good dinner plate cheese, and complements various dinner meats, and goes well with beverages like some red wine if you'd like to enjoy a classy vintage with the cheese.

As for taste, it's hard but not tough to chew. It has a really zesty tang to it, definitely is a lot more distinct in its umami (savoriness) than regular supermarket cheddar, and it's fairly moist on the inside, meaning it will melt in your mouth very well.

Again, this is not a cheese I would buy in small quantities if you wish to eat it on the regular. It's better purchased in bulk and served as part of a dinner platter or eaten neat if you ask me.

Overall, I'm pleased with my experience buying this cheese and would recommend it to anyone who wants something a bit sharper and more distinct in taste than regular supermarket block yellow cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Asiago Pressato, Pecorino Calabrese, and Green Wax Irish Cheddar, my impressions

 It's been a while since my last cheese review, so let's make up for that, shall we? This time I ordered a pound each of Asiago Pres...