Wednesday, May 22, 2019

I now write for ChristCenteredGamer!

https://www.christcenteredgamer.com/index.php/reviews/pc-mac/7096-dragon-quest-heroes-the-world-tree-s-woe-and-the-blight-below-pc


Writing this post to confirm that I do indeed write for ChristCenteredGamer, a fact I'm very proud of, as both a gamer and servant of God.

For the record, I want to get a few things out there for both my new employers and anyone else interested.


1. I admit I'm a sinner, unworthy to look up towards Heaven, but as someone who wants to glorify God, I will do my best to write work that does just that.

2. As a gamer, I've long bemoaned the horrible state of gamer journalism, and I have now become one (at one of the more honorable outlets for it from where I'm sitting) in the hopes of reversing the trend. It is my intention to be honest and honorable in this regard.

3. I will sublimate my personal moral opinions for the sake of CCG's standards, which are effectively neutral towards all Christian denominations and still strive to provide objective secular and moral information regarding the games they cover.


For example, as a Christian, I have no problems casting spells in games, because they are not anything resembling dabbling in actual magic IRL. I have no issue playing Grand Theft Auto as a Christian, as I know such activities should never be done IRL. I am constantly aware it's a catharsis meant only to be enjoyed as the computer program it was intended to be and that I should never be tempted to perform a sinful act as a result of playing such media, else I have no business playing it in the first place.

I would also have no problem playing Shin Megami Tensei as a Christian as it uses religious and mythological themes for fictional purposes and thus does not accurately reflect actual religion and it's views do not shake my own faith in the Christian God one iota.

Basically, my take on games is that they are a fictional medium that should remain purely in the realm of fiction and if they ever become a vector for temptation or evil, then I should cease playing them. Otherwise, I consider them a safe, sane alternative for entertainment that does not compromise my walk with God in any fashion.


The official line of my employers is to let gamers make up their own minds concerning morality, merely discussing all potentially offensive themes (especially for Christians) while still leaving the reader of their reviews the choice to decide if the game good for the secular aspects, moral aspects, or both if they prefer, a stance I have every intention of adhering to regardless any personal moral opinions of my own.

I work for them as a volunteer, not as a full-time paid employee, but I intend to regard my writing for them with the seriousness and gravity it would require a paid employee to do regardless. And if I fail to do so, I expect both them and the public at large to hold me to account, as God certainty would and will if I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Farewell to My Father

 My father just passed April 1, 2024 6:36 PM. For those reading this, I want to make absolutely clear the world lost a great man named John ...