Saturday, June 3, 2023

Why I oppose special holidays simply for being a minority

 Fair warning, this was written by a white guy who is Christian and straight, so if you are gay, trans, black, or anything else I'm not and think I should shut up, you might as well stop reading now and spare yourself further offense. If, however, you don't mind a potentially offensive alternative point of view from a politically moderate person who thinks everyone should be equal regardless of their differences, then allow me to explain why I bring this up.


I recently offended a certain group of LGBT people (I shall respect their privacy by going no further than that) by saying I found it sad a minority group needs a specific period of time like "Pride Month" to feel dignity when I believed that was something that should be innate, no one should take it away from you, and those that tried could go to hell for all I cared.

Not my exact words, but close enough.

For my audacity to suggest this, I was inundated with various comments that the LGBT are on the verge of extinction and deserve Pride Month since they are robbed of everything else these days, had it implied I was racist when asked if I felt the same about Black History Month, and was soon after booted out of the community in question despite apologizing for my statement offending others.

For the record, so be it, I accept my exile like an adult. I shall not beg for a return and I wish that community the best despite my absence, I am not one to hold grudges, especially not after something like this.


However, since this is where I can elaborate on my opinion without having doors slammed in my face, let me explain why I think minority holidays, while noble in their intents, have become wedges to drive society apart instead of together.


They've Failed At Making Diversity Acceptable

Things like Pride Month and Black History Month started with the noble intention of bringing to light a minority group and celebrating their part in human society. I do not dispute this.

Unfortunately, the line between "here is a spotlight shown on a minority group for a brief period to show they too have contributed to the human race" and "putting them on a pedestal and flaunting them as somehow better than mere mortals" has become disturbing common these days.

For the most part, I lay the blame at the feel of corporations, lobby groups, and social media. While I do not oppose the basic concept of minority celebration, the parties I've mentioned have commercialized, politicized, and otherwise turned these celebrations into less "these groups exist and we should remember that" and more "these people are special. Disagree and you're a bigot"

To that, I'm not a bigot, but I don't think being a minority makes you "special". Different, but not special. Everyone is a human being, capable of free will, sapient intelligence, and the potential to shape their own destiny. Being white, black, gay, trans, or covered in polka dots does not make you a god amongst mortals.

I do not believe the mere act of being different means you deserve special treatment. You deserve to be treated the same as I would, insofar as is reasonable.


For example, if a black or white person runs a red light, they should pay the same fine and receive the same legal citation. If there is a job position available, they deserve the same CHANCE at the job based on their qualification for the job, not their skin color.

Regarding being gay or trans, my take is that your sexuality or whatever you define your body as is your personal business. No one except those you are intimate with is entitled to know more unless you are willing to share, and by the same token, others have a right to the same level of discretion and privacy. Whatever you do, provided you do not violate the rights of others nor trammel the protections of lawful consent, should be protected. Moral and ethical considerations should have no preferred preference over the law.


With this said, it galls me how polarized society has become. While it's inevitable groups will clash, the profound lack of "agree to disagree" disgusts me. I hate bible beaters and LGBT zealots with the same level of contempt, much like the racist (whether they be a black person saying whites are evil or a white saying blacks are evil) disgust me.

At the end of the day, your differences mean nothing to me. You are all human. You were born and you will die. You are no more above your own humanity than anyone else, so quit having the presumption your differences elevate you above anyone else.

All your difference means is that you are DIFFERENT, not special.


Getting back to my main point, minority holidays have just become flashpoints. Pride Month is one in recent days that has drawn both anti and pro-LGBT groups to scream at each other. The pro-LGBT consider even the slightest amount of differing opinion or insinuation they are as mortal as the rest of humanity (and thus as equal before the law as anyone else) as tantamount to genocide. The anti-LGBT are as blind and stupid as the fools who thought Prohibition would end the consumption of alcoholic beverages forever, trying to legislate morality despite behaviors like alcohol consumption and homosexuality having existed as far back as we have recorded history.

Therefore, if these minority holidays are just going to be flashpoints of further societal discord, then yes, I think we'd be better off without them.


Being a Part of a Group Has Become Entire Identity


I have been a member of intensely pro-Christian and LGBT groups. In both, I'm the moderate, and I admit, while I try to get along with these groups, I cannot stand either when it gets to the point it goes beyond "this is who I am" and it gets to the point "and I'll remind you every five seconds".

When I joined said groups, your stance was already known to me. I do NOT need to be reminded, and if you must remind me what you are constantly, then I must ask, why are trying to remind ME so hard, I already know. 

To this, you either get told to shut up and let others speak (how ironic, I must muzzle my tongue but you are above the same restriction) or that you are a bigot trying to silence them (despite the fact they've more than made their position clear)

Again, if you cannot go five minutes without reminding me what you stand for and daring to punish me for getting tired of being reminded, you are the problem. Whatever you stand for, if your position cannot survive without terrifying others into silence while you keep talking lest you punish them for daring to say anything that might offend you, you're the intolerant one. You create your own bigots by stirring resentment against you.

So, if this is already causing resentment, then special holidays for minorities, with this in mind, are just grinding glass in the wounds of societal discord, and we'd be better if they didn't exist.


Conclusion


I am white, male, Christian, and straight. That said, I rarely tell people any of the above unless I'm asked directly. My reason is simple: 

I am secure in this knowledge and do not need to hammer it into the heads of anyone else.

Diversity is the strength of the human race. Without it, we'd be boring and sterile in terms of creativity and endeavour, and I in fact celebrate our diversity. I do not, however, enjoy being forced to simper before any group and keep my mouth shut while they demand special treatment simply for being different. There is no faster way to create a bigot than by demanding special treatment of others, and while I have tried to resist falling into the trap of hatred over this, a lot more actual bigots have been created by this forced love of diversity breeding resentment against forced tolerance and faked acceptance under pain of retribution.

With that in mind, I do not reject the differences of my species, but I'd rather not have them rubbed in my face and be told I'm the intolerant one for daring to say "Who cares what you are, you're human, that's all that matters."

And with that said, minority holidays have become pedestals to elevate certain groups above humanity and trying to force me to revere them as gods. And I will not do that. No one man is god over another, no matter what difference you have from myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Asiago Pressato, Pecorino Calabrese, and Green Wax Irish Cheddar, my impressions

 It's been a while since my last cheese review, so let's make up for that, shall we? This time I ordered a pound each of Asiago Pres...