Sunday, July 5, 2020

The upcoming RPG Maker MZ, or RPG Maker MV Ace, my thoughts

I've been following the news of late that RPG Maker MZ will release this summer, and while I'm mostly happy, as I had a few projects in RPG Maker MV I backburnered due to issues with it I hope MZ will address, the news so far is generally good, here are the highlights.

1. Codebase is still Javascript, but apparently, they rewrote the backend code quite a bit. Given JS could drool on good computers due to bad optimization, hopefully, this will ameliorate that.

2. Ships with a crapload of resources and are generally compatible with MV stuff out of the box. I can live with that.

3. Includes a lot of features to make it easier on noobs and lots of shortcuts for things like pathfinding for cutscenes, Good stuff here.

4. LAYERS. As in XP style stuff so you don't have to do complicated hacks to do things like being able to walk under bridges. Definitely a good thing.

5. Now added Active Time Battle as a default battle engine. Good deal.

6. Effeskeer powered particle-based animations. Apparently, this should fix slowdowns with loading animation spritesheets quite a bit, and given MV could have slow loading at the best of times, a definite improvement. Also means animations will look a lot better, which is another good thing.


What I'm mostly hoping for is that the kneecapped limits on map and database sizes are a thing of the past. MV was optimized for mobile devices, meaning smaller maps and hard database caps. Neither could be circumvented without super unstable hacks that were hard to use. If this is fixed, I will celebrate for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Asiago Pressato, Pecorino Calabrese, and Green Wax Irish Cheddar, my impressions

 It's been a while since my last cheese review, so let's make up for that, shall we? This time I ordered a pound each of Asiago Pres...